IMAP is a standard protocol for retrieval and storage of email messages. Yahoo mail IMAP settings permit their access from a local server such as mobile device’s mail app or an email program like Outlook, which are functionally equivalent to local mailboxes. IMAP allows two way communication to and from your email client and is less prone to message loss.
Configuring Yahoo Mail on a mobile device can be tedious. Manual setup of ‘Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)’ or ‘Post Office Protocol (POP)’ settings is required for some mobile email apps.
How to configure Yahoo Mail IMAP Settings:
Using the Yahoo mail IMAP settings you can add your Yahoo account to Outlook.
- First, open Outlook 2013 in your PC/Mac.
- In the “Welcome” page, click “Next”.
- In the next window, select “Yes”, then click “Next” to add an Email Account.
Alternatively, if Outlook window opens:
a. Click “File” tab.
b. Then, click on the “Add account” button right above the Account Settings
- Select “Manual setup or additional server types” option, and click “Next”.
- In “Choose Service”, select “PoP or IMAP”, and click “Next”.
- Add your Ymail user information, your name and email address, in the respective fields.
Enter your full email address in the field ending with @yahoo.com, @ymail.com or @rocketmail.com.
For “Server Information”, use the following details:
Then add your “Login information”, Username and Password, in the respective fields, and click “Remember password”.
- Then, click “More Settings” button and select the “Outgoing server” tab.
- Click on the checkbox for “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” option, and select “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”.
- Then, in the same window, go to the “Advanced” tab and verify the following:Click “OK” when you have made the changes as described.
- Then, click “Next” in the “POP and IMAP Account Settings” window.
- If you have entered Yahoo mail IMAP settings correctly, both tasks will be completed successfully and you can close the window and again click “Next” button.
- Click Finish on the “You’re all set!” message window.
Now you can send or receive emails through Outlook.