Passwords are meant to limit the users of an account, and keep the outsiders out. Sometimes, you may want to reset Yahoo password either for security reasons, that someone might know your password, or just to keep yourself secure. Or, you may want to reset it because you have forgotten what your password was. This article covers both the topics. Therefore, go through the headings according to your requirement.
While resetting the password, it is recommended that you use a complex set of uppercase and lower case letters, numbers, periods and symbols to make your password strong.
This procedure works for @yahoo.com, @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com accounts.
I. Steps to reset Yahoo password (if you know your current password):
To change or reset Yahoo password, you should know your current password for your Yahoo account.
- First, you’ll need to sign in to your Yahoo account for which you want to change the password.
- Open a web browser, or a new tab in this browser, and go to either of the following links: www.ymail.com, www.login.yahoo.com or www.mail.yahoo.com.
- Then, in the Yahoo login page, enter your Yahoo email address.
- Make sure you enter full email addresses, especially if you have a Ymail or Rocketmail accounts.
- You need not bother with ‘Stay signed in’ option as you’ll be changing your password. You can uncheck it if you like.
- Then, click on the Next button to continue.
- Enter your password in the empty field.
- Then, click on the Sign in button.
- On the top-right corner of the page, hover your mouse over username/image.
- Click on Account info.
- Click on Account Security tab in the right column.
- Then, click on Change password.
- Type in your Current Password and click on Sign in if prompted.
- Then, type in a New Password for your Yahoo account.
- Re-enter New Password in the second field to confirm.
Click on ‘Show password’ check box to see the password you have typed.
- Finally, click on the Continue button to complete your reset Yahoo password.
- Click on Continue button again.
Once the change has been made, you cannot login to your Yahoo account using your old password.
II. Steps to reset Yahoo password (if you DO NOT know your current password):
- Using a web browser (tab), open the Yahoo mail login page.
- Enter your Yahoo email address in the provided space, and click on Next button.
- In the password page, click on Forgot password? link below the “Sign in” button.
- Click on Continue button to confirm your email.
- If prompted, enter the Captcha code, and click on Submit button to verify that you are not a bot.
- Now, enter the two missing digits of your mobile phone.
- Then, click on the Submit button.
- Click on the Yes, text me button and you’ll receive a text message with a verification code to your mobile phone.
- Enter the verification code into the space provided and click on Submit or Verify button.
- Now, click on the Create a new password button since you don’t know your current password.
- Enter a new password into the two fields.
- Finally, click on the Continue button to save the changes.